The Lochnager mine was dug by the Tunnelling Coy’s of the Royal Engineers under a German field fortification called Schwabenholne, in the front line, south of the village of La Boisselle on the Somme. The mine was named after a trench called Lochnagar Street, a British trench from which the gallery was driven. It was one of 8 large and 11 smaller mines that were placed beneath the German lines in the British Sector of the Somme. It was blown at 7.28am on the 1st July 1916, the crater was captured and held by British troops but the attack on either flank was defeated by the Germans. The crater has been preserved as a memorial to all those that fell.